Working with Collections in the Pro client
Collections are containers or virtual folders used for collecting and organizing content. Typically, this content is related in some way: they are files of a photo shoot, files related to a story in a publication, files of a product, files you want to share with someone, and so on.
A Collection stores references, not files
An important concept of Collections to be aware of is that a Collection contains references to files in Swivle and not the actual files themselves. Compare it to creating a shortcut to a file on your desktop: you can access the file by double-clicking the shortcut, but it is not the actual file itself.
In this respect adding a file to a Collection is different from adding a file to a folder.
This means that:
- Before you can add a file to a Collection, it needs to have already been uploaded to Swivle.
- You can add the same file to different Collections. For each Collection a reference is made to the original file. The file itself therefore only exists once in Swivle.
- When removing the file from a Collection or deleting the Collection itself, only the reference to the file is removed and not the file itself.
- When deleting the original file from Swivle, all references in all Collections are also removed.
You can recognize a Collection by:
- Its icon in the Folder browser and in the top right corner of the thumbnail
- The thumbnail showing a grid of up to 4 image previews
Figure: Collections can be recognized by their icon and the thumbnail that consists of up to 4 image previews.