Swivle provides Check-out and Check-in functionality to help you work on your files in Swivle, without the danger for other users to overwrite your work. Please refer to The concept of Check-out and Check-in for a more detailed introduction about this.
This article explains the default check out functionality. When you have the Swivle Agent installed, you will be able to open files directly in their native application, among other benefits.
The classic workflow is as follows:
- Find and select the files you want to work on
- Click the Check-out button in the toolbar
- The files are now locked in Swivle and downloaded to your machine.
Note: The file is downloaded as you would download any other file through the browser. This means the files will be available in the folder your browser has been configured to download files to.
- You can now do the necessary work on your files.
- When finished, in Swivle, navigate to the 'Checked-out files' page
- For each file, select 'Check in', browse to the updated file and select it.
Tip: You can also check in a file by right clicking the checked out file in the normal screen, then selecting 'Check in'
- The file is now uploaded back into Swivle and unlocked for other users.
Upon Check in, Swivle will not not replace the original file. Instead, a new version is created. Swivle will keep up to 5 previous versions of a single file. More information about versioning can be found in the Managing versions of files article.
Recognising Checked out files
- For files that you have checked-out yourself: a pencil icon is displayed over the thumbnail
- For files that are checked-out by another user: their Avatar icon is displayed over the thumbnail